Local organizations are beginning to announce their overnight shelters and warming stations when temperatures dip to dangerously cold levels.
Some facilities, such as volunteer fire stations, are not staffed regularly and should be contacted via phone before arriving to ensure someone will be present.
This list was compiled by Region 9 Continuum of Care. Contact Elisa Worland at firstname.lastname@example.org or 765-973-9281 to be added. This version was last updated Nov. 30, 2023.
Call 211 at any time to get agencies available locally that can assist with overnight accommodations and assistance with meals and other necessities.
Overnight shelters regularly open
- Hope House, 121 N. 10th St., Richmond. For men only. Will operate 24 hours during inclement weather. 765-935-3000
- Refuge of Hope, 1032 E. Main St., Richmond. For women and young children. Open all day when temperature drops below 30 degrees. Cots will be provided during inclement weather. During normal weather, call for availability. 765-962-5099.
Overnight shelters when temperature drops
- Oak Park Pentecostal, 1920 Chester Blvd., Richmond. Open when temperature drops below 25 degrees. Those who want to volunteer are encouraged to contact the church, which is also raising money to hire someone to run the shelter. Funds can be sent to Oak Park Pentecostals, P.O. Box 1305, Richmond, IN 47375, noting they are for the shelter. 765-962-3693
- Abington Township Fire Department, 4618 Pottershop Road, Centerville. 765-309-3149
- Cambridge City Fire Department, 127 W. Maple St., Cambridge City. 765-541-0964
- Centerville Fire/Rescue, 414 S. Morton Ave., Centerville. 765-855-3889
- Webster Fire Department, 5122 Main St., Webster. 765-993-2921
Daytime warming stations
In addition to Hope House, Refuge of Hope and fire departments mentioned above:
- Cambridge City Public Library, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Mondays/Wednesdays; 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesdays/Thursdays; 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Fridays/Saturdays at 600 W. Main St., Cambridge City. 765-478-3335
- Centerville Library, 10 a.m.- 6 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Fridays; 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays at 126 E. Main St., Centerville. Closure depends on road conditions. 765-855-5223
- Dublin Fire Department, 2248 Cumberland St. (U.S. 40), Dublin. 765-914-5403
- First United Methodist Church, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays at 199 S. Perry St., Hagerstown. 765-489-4558
- Hagerstown Library, 10 a.m.- 6 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays; 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. Wednesdays; 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays at 10 W. College St., Hagerstown. Closes if road conditions are dangerous. 765-489-5632
- Morrisson-Reeves Library, 9:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays; 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Fridays; 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays at 80 N. Sixth St., Richmond
- Salvation Army, 9 a.m.- 4 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays and 9 a.m.-noon Fridays at 707 S. A St., Richmond. 260-229-8925
Assistance with finding shelter
- Bridges for Life, 100 N. 10th St., Richmond. 765-396-0050
- ICAP, 2519 E. Main St. #101, Richmond. 765-488-2416
- Coordinated Entry (Centerstone), 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. weekdays, 831 Dillon Drive, Richmond. 765-238-5493
- Wayne Township Trustee’s Office, 8 a.m.-noon and 1-4 p.m. weekdays, 401 E. Main St., Richmond. 765-973-9392
A version of this article appeared in the November 8 2023 print edition of the Western Wayne News.