A Centerville man has been transported to a Dayton, Ohio, hospital after Richmond police say they were forced to shoot him Sunday morning.
Richmond Police Chief Mike Britt has asked Indiana State Police’s Pendleton District to investigate a police action shooting involving officers from Richmond Police Department.
The incident occurred shortly before 11 a.m., when Wayne County Dispatch put out a call for a reckless driving vehicle on the west side of Richmond.
An early investigation shows that an officer was on the phone while sitting in his car in the Richmond Municipal Building parking lot when the reckless driving vehicle pulled into the lot and close to the officer’s vehicle, according to a news release from Indiana State Police.
A man inside the car began yelling at the officer, “Kill me, shoot me,’” the release said.
The officer, who was outside the police station at 50 N. Fifth St., immediately radioed for assistance and began slowly driving away from the suspect’s vehicle across the lot. A two-man car was nearby and arrived on the scene to assist.
The two-man car stopped approximately 60 feet from the suspect’s vehicle and the two officers got out of their car.
The suspect got out of his vehicle, shouting ‘Kill me, shoot me,” and began stabbing himself with a knife, the release said. When officers began giving verbal commands to the man, he charged at them on the run, wielding the knife in a threatening manner, shouting “Shoot me, kill me.”
Officers continued to shout verbal commands as the man closed the distance between them. As the suspect closed the distance to about 10 feet, one officer was forced to shoot the suspect, the release said.
The suspect fell to the ground, and officers immediately began administering first aid and summoned EMS.
The suspect has been identified as Brian Sherer, 34, of Centerville. He was taken to Reid Health, then flown by medical helicopter to a hospital in Dayton, Ohio, with what were believed to be survivable injuries.
No officers were injured.
In a media release issued Sunday afternoon, Britt said he soon contacted Indiana State Police and requested they investigate the incident as an impartial and non-involved agency. ISP has since taken over the scene and investigation.

Share this: