The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has been called into help investigate what appears to be a detonated explosive device found at Glen Miller Park in Richmond, and the park has reopened after being closed a few hours as a precaution.
Richmond Police Department is investigating whether there’s a connection between that Tuesday morning discovery (Jan. 14) and the report of a loud noise on Monday evening a few blocks away.
On Monday, at approximately 9:05 p.m., police received a call about a loud explosion in the area of South 20th and A streets in Richmond. A second-shift RPD patrol officer also heard the explosion. The area was searched by officers, but nothing was located at the time.
Then, at about 8:45 a.m. Tuesday, first-shift RPD patrol officers responded to a report of mischief in Glen Miller Park, 2200 E. Main St.
Maintenance personnel reported finding what appeared to be a detonated explosive device.
The device had been placed under or near a trash receptacle prior to detonating.
The scene was barricaded for processing and the ATF, which is an agency in the U.S. Department of Justice, has been called in to assist with the investigation.
“It is possible the two incidents are related,” said RPD Capt. Curt Leverton in a news release.
RPD will be increasing its patrol presence in the parks as the investigation continues.
Anyone who might have seen anything about the time of the Monday evening incident, or has any knowledge of the incident, is asked to contact RPD at (765) 983-7247.
The park was closed for a few hours to allow officers to continue their investigation with the assistance of other agencies, but reopened shortly before 3 p.m.
“At this time, there is no indication of any other device,” the release said. “The park closure is being done only as a routine and precautionary measure for the safety of the community and to insure this was an isolated incident.”
“I want to thank Chief Branum and our Richmond Police Department as well as other agencies who have assisted in this incident,” Mayor Dave Snow said in the release. “We take the safety of our citizens and our parks very seriously. I also want to thank our Parks Team for quickly identifying and reporting this matter.”

Share this: