Wayne County has more than a quarter of a million dollars this year to combat drug use and overdose.
The money represents the county’s share of state settlements with opioid manufacturers, distributors and retailers in the fifth year receiving annual payments. The state attorney general’s office estimates the county will receive $3,877,700.26 in settlement money from 2022 through 2038.
Commissioner Aaron Roberts spoke following the Aug. 12 commissioners meeting about awarding grants to organizations, preferably those directly involved in treatment or education. The county has $277,041.77 available.
“I still believe it’s important that we focus on those organizations who can truly impact people and change people’s lives,” Roberts said.
Application materials are now available on the county’s website, www.co.wayne.in.us, with the application period running from Sept. 1 to 30. A committee then will score the applications using a rubric explained in the materials. Last year, five organizations were funded from about a dozen applicants.
Roberts recently received information that the state was making more of its 50% share of settlement money available, and he said Wayne County will apply for additional funding.
“I think the state would find it favorable for Wayne County just because of the way we conduct our application process and distribute the money,” Roberts said.
The work opioid settlement funds support remains important because Wayne County annually ranks among Indiana counties with the most overdoses.
“We really do need to work on our community and the overdoses,” Roberts said. “It’s time to really give a good effort, and the only way to do that is to find great organizations doing great work in our community.”
More information about the opioid settlement program is available on the state attorney general’s website at in.gov/attorneygeneral/home/opioid-settlement/.
During the commissioners meeting, Tim Pierson of the Drug Free Wayne County Partnership presented his organization’s grant distributions, totaling $34,318.50.
The organization had $41,728 to disburse that the state provided from court fees assessed to those committing drug-related crimes. It divided the money into three pots: justice and law enforcement, prevention and education, and treatment and recovery.
In the justice and law enforcement category, the DFWCP board granted $3,500 to Wayne County probation and community corrections, $3,500 to the Cambridge City Police Department, $2,409.50 to the Hagerstown Police Department and $4,500 to the Richmond Police Department.
In prevention and education, the board awarded $5,000 to the Boys and Girls Clubs of Wayne County, $5,000 to Birth to Five, $1,954.50 to Bootcamp Boxing and $1,954.50 to Stored Energy.
Bridges for Life received $6,500 in the treatment and recovery category, leaving $7,409.50 for a future funding cycle.
Commissioners unanimously approved the funding plan.
Courthouse elevator
Steve Higinbotham, the county administrator, said the courthouse elevator could be repaired during the week of Aug. 17. A part was expected to arrive early in the week, then technicians would be scheduled to complete the repair.
Commissioners plan to discuss with county judges and others impacted in the courthouse about moving forward with the plan to install a new elevator on the south side. The project went out for bid last year, but no contractors submitted bids with evening and weekend work specified. Another bid process would likely remove the hours limitations, creating noise issues within the courthouse.
A version of this article will appear in the August 19 2026 print edition of the Western Wayne News.
