Police vehicles raced through Wayne County on Friday afternoon as law enforcement agencies responded to a domestic situation that resulted in four injuries in Lynn, Indiana.
Around 3 p.m., a Randolph County deputy, along with Lynn’s marshal and deputy marshal, responded to a residence in the 800 block of West Church Street in Lynn after a report of a domestic situation. The suspect’s wife reportedly requested law enforcement assistance and noted her husband was carrying a firearm.
As officers arrived at the home and stood outside speaking with the man’s wife, they were fired on by a man inside the home with a rifle, according to a press release from Indiana State Police Sgt. John Bowling.
The officers retreated, with one officer getting hit with shrapnel from one of the rifle rounds.
As other officers from surrounding agencies arrived and set a perimeter around the home, the suspect continued firing at officers, with officers returning fire, Bowling said. The suspect fired several rounds into police vehicles that had been left outside his home.
Officers from Wayne County Sheriff’s Department and several units from surrounding cities and towns were among those responding, as well as officers from Delaware County, Hancock County and Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, Bowling said.
Two other officers were hit with shrapnel from rifle rounds fired by the suspect, police said. All three officers who were injured by shrapnel were considered to have minor, non-life-threatening injuries. Bowling said those injured were from Lynn Police Department, Farmland Police Department and the Randolph County Sheriff’s Department
Around 4:15 p.m., the suspect stopped firing, and at about 8 p.m., after having negative contact with the suspect, SWAT entered the home and located the suspect, John Resetar, 44, downstairs in the home suffering from a gunshot wound. Officers immediately rendered first aid and summoned EMS.
Resetar, who was unconscious, was transported to Reid Health and then to a hospital in Indianapolis where he remained in critical condition Saturday morning. The police investigation continues.

Share this: